Are you affected by the Australian bushfires? We are providing local support. Click here

Residential Conveyancing

We offer a full range of conveyancing services for clients in Sydney and country New South Wales. Having offices in Cootamundra, Gundagai, Tumut and Sydney means that we can offer country clients specialised assistance with the purchase of city properties and our rural knowledge is greatly appreciated by our city clients with rural interests.

I'm buying a property - what are some of the things I need to do and look out for?

  • Finance, if required, for your purchase should be approved before exchange of contracts. Your loan will not normally be available for expenses that you need to pay before you complete the purchase, such as:
    • reports you require (for example building and pest, survey and building certificate, strata record inspection)
    • the deposit (normally 10%) which is paid on exchange of contracts
    • stamp duty
  • There are grants and stamp duty concessions available to first home buyers. Information can be found on the Office of State Revenue website
  • Have you thought about what name you will buy the property in? This can be important for asset protection and tax purposes.
  • Visit the local Council to check what is happening in the area, what development consents have been granted for the property and whether all the conditions of any development consent for the property have been met.
  • What reports do you want to get for the property before you exchange contracts - including pest, building/construction report, survey, council compliance and if it is a strata unit, a strata inspection report?
  • Do you understand the contract for sale?
  • If you buy at auction, you cannot change the contract after the auction has finished. Therefore, the contract should be reviewed by your lawyer before the auction.

I'm selling my property - what do I need to do and look out for?

  • Before you start marketing the property, if it is a residential property, you must have a contract for sale prepared to give to potential buyers. Even if it isn't residential property, it is best to get a draft contract prepared at the earliest opportunity. This can pick up on any potential problems that may not become known until the contract is prepared.
  • If you are going to sell your property through an agent, you will need to select one to do the work. Are you living in the property or do you have tenants to consider? What settlement period do you need?
  • Will you be buying another property and need to:
    • use the funds from this sale to be able to purchase the other property?
    • try and settle this sale and your purchase on the same time?
  • Have the improvements on the property recently been built or renovated? Do you have a copy of any required building insurance?
  • Have all the improvements been constructed in accordance with Council regulations?
  • Do you have a current survey report and should you get a council certificate of compliance to attach to the Contract?
  • Taxes - will GST and CGT be payable and do you pay land tax on the property?
  • Where is the original Certificate of Title for the property?
  • If your property is financed, will you have to pay any penalties or charges if you are going to pay out your loan early?

PEXA Electronic Conveyancing Specialist


Click here to enquire about Residential Conveyancing